Any hopes to make server stop sending certain stuff to log?

kingston

Contributor
Feb 10, 2016
I'm mostly wondering about such client log entries as:

Channel "" was deleted by "server"
"User" switched from channel "' to ""
Channel group "" was assigned to "user" by "server"

On a busy server they spam my client log a lot while not being very useful, at least for me. I think it would be great to find a method to hide them. I believe this is just about blocking a certain opcode to be sent by server. Could this become an interesting task to do?

On the other hand these entries would be great in server log where they are missing. Perhaps this could be modded also?

ehthe

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 26, 2015
It would indeed be nice to be able to fine-grain the logging settings both on client and server :)

Yolo

Jan 10, 2016
go to "Edit Virtual Server" ---> Logs --> Disable all logs for users and channel

but i think your client will continue to track allo logs

ehthe

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 26, 2015
Well yeah but that's not nearly enough for the server logging options and as you said that doesn't affect the clients.

ehthe

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 26, 2015
For a start the client does its own logging. It register events that the server sends and prints them to the server tab basically.

Derp

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 30, 2015
There is actually a way to do this. (Server Bug)

It's in the VIP section if I'm not mistaken

kingston

Contributor
Feb 10, 2016
For a start the client does its own logging. It register events that the server sends and prints them to the server tab basically.
Well, of course client does it. But, as you said, it needs to get particular opcodes (events) from the server to make it effective. That's the whole point - to stop the server from sending those events. Or make it send some bogus ones that client can't recognize.

@Derp do you mean all this theory is covered there?

Derp

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 30, 2015
Well, of course client does it. But, as you said, it needs to get particular opcodes (events) from the server to make it effective. That's the whole point - to stop the server from sending those events. Or make it send some bogus ones that client can't recognize.

@Derp do you mean all this theory is covered there?
Not exactly

There is no way to prevent the server from sending event messages 'yet'. However there is a way to completely hide the messages. (VIP)

ehthe

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 26, 2015
The thing is, if you stop the server from sending for example the notifyclientmove event then you'll never see people actually moving between channels and your client would then crash or discard certain packets because for example it would believe that a person talking to you wouldn't be in the same channel as you.

kingston

Contributor
Feb 10, 2016
Hrm. In fact it would be silly if such events were generated and sent to client just for logging purposes. So there is a lot more going on in the background and client needs those to actually know who, where and what in real time.

On the other hand hiding them completely somehow works and doesn't affect client operational part.

And how about the other part of this idea? I mean logging the client stuff so it stays in a file. For now it goes away and is not visible anywhere else but the client tab's buffer. How about implementing a simple bot that could do the logging? Probably much easier than attempting to mod the server to log those (which is probably not really possible anyway).

Last edited:

kingston

Contributor
Feb 10, 2016
That's what Derp said - there is a way to hide them completely.

Bluscream

Retired Staff
Contributor
May 8, 2015
Sorry if i did not understood your question.

You infact can not change what other clients see, yes there was this one trick but AFAIK its fixed already.

But you can hide certain events from your own client's server chat.
notificationsettings_zpsd4b560c1.png

Note: "Text Location" is what you search for.

Derp

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 30, 2015
And how about the other part of this idea? I mean logging the client stuff so it stays in a file. For now it goes away and is not visible anywhere else but the client tab's buffer. How about implementing a simple bot that could do the logging? Probably much easier than attempting to mod the server to log those (which is probably not really possible anyway).
That's actually what happens. You don't see the messages, However they're still logged in the server chat file (%appdata%/TS3Client/chats)