Why TeamSpeak Sucks

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
PLEASE NOTICE: TeamSpeak staff have been working hard to make the security of TeamSpeak 3 stronger. I am happy to say that everything below is already fixed. We are still finding more bugs and security issues in this VOIP platform although the TeamSpeak developers have been cooperative with us by accepting our reports. I no longer believe that "TeamSpeak Sucks", the security was not the best although it is getting better and I feel that TeamSpeak security is getting strengthened/hardened with each vulnerability/bug the R4P3 Security Team forwards on to the developers.

TeamSpeak 3 has many security vulnerabilities that have been found by researchers from R4P3, we are security enthusiasts that enjoy trying to stay safe online. Some of the security issues are:
  • Buffer Overflow (?) from a BB Code handling issue with the QT Framework. Mumble also suffered from the same vulnerability although Mumble patched within a few days, TeamSpeak 3 was not patched for over 2 months.
  • Deadlock (hang/error/crash) in the server process, any user could remotely crash a TeamSpeak 3 server. This would disable everyone in the server from talking for 10-30 seconds (disconnected) until every users client times out and everyone drops off the server. The server then must be manually restarted (default) by the server owner unless there is an auto-restart script.
  • BB Code was accepted in nicknames and you could easily spam an entire server with links.
There are tens or even hundreds of unlisted vulnerabilities that have been found. They will be documented here with examples for educational and research purposes only. While the above mentioned issues are patched, there are still security issues unmentioned that do still work. The safer option at this time is http://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page which is an opensource solution for anyone looking for a centralized voice/text solution, Mumble could be a great solution for gaming, business or anything else the requires voice communication between systems. There are also free mobile applications that work even though they aren't great, they do work whereas with TeamSpeak you must pay for the mobile application, usually you must pay for a server license and overall TeamSpeak is way too proprietary. I highly suggest looking at Mumble as an option, give it a chance at the least.

Last edited:

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
Also, I hate this guy:
The video makes me laugh though. Look at that guys, post a video link and it auto embeds it, fancy.. huh?!

Bandit

Apr 25, 2015
I've always wanted something that had the design of ventrilo, the support and userbase of teamspeak, and the openness/everything else of mumble, which is obviously the most superior right now.

What I would give for a real skype killer, closest would be oovoo, or jitsi on xmpp as a secondary which is way more secure.

Speaking of XMPP, if anyone uses it, you can add me at [email protected]

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
You nailed it Bandit, I think I'm going to get XMPP again --- I haven't used it for a little while. When I do, I'll add you. I'm getting off for a little bit to grab some food, then I'm going to import that old forum database, system and theme. That will be a nice surprise to anyone looking to read those posts! This website seems much faster to me now, what do you think?

Supervisor

Administrator
Apr 27, 2015
b6szsg62.png

What do you think about this - A possible weak point in 3.0.11.2/3?

I think it is 3.0.11.3 is still vulnerable for this.. only question is.. what is it? :p

Last edited:

XURY

May 9, 2015
b6szsg62.png

What do you think about this - A possible weak point in 3.0.11.2/3?

I think it is 3.0.11.3 is still vulnerable for this.. only question is.. what is it? :p
I already knew about that DDoS Amplification Vulnerability :D But what could be there in 3.0.11.2-3 ? I'd like to find that out :D There HAS to be something... I mean..They are so dumb...But how do you actually search for something like that? I think it's not searching, it's just random finding, right :D?

Supervisor

Administrator
Apr 27, 2015
So now I do have confirmation there is a weakpoint.. but I still don't know what it is ;p

Kaptan647

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 25, 2015
So now I do have confirmation there is a weakpoint.. but I still don't know what it is ;p
i have an idea . Recently i saw a post in forum.teamspeak.com . Some user said " There is a person. He comes to my server and he can change his country flag very fast after some time my server crashes". I dont think there is any antispam rules about changing ip without lefting ts server. If we can understand how this man did this maybe we can have a new exploit :D

XURY

May 9, 2015
i have an idea . Recently i saw a post in forum.teamspeak.com . Some user said " There is a person. He comes to my server and he can change his country flag very fast after some time my server crashes". I dont think there is any antispam rules about changing ip without lefting ts server. If we can understand how this man did this maybe we can have a new exploit :D
I actually know how to to that ;) Its done with a Batch Script, but i didn't know that it could potentially crash a server o_O

Supervisor

Administrator
Apr 27, 2015
kentauro
Possible severe security problem

I was in a conversation with a friend ( I from my Smartphone ) discussing a problem with a script in a forum we have. Then I ask him to send me the script code by private message to check it and I have taken a surprise ... The code is not shown in lines , but that was executed!! .

I think this is serious. Please note he sent me the code from his pc to my smartphone ( I bought TS for iphone)

this is normal?

dante696
Can you send me the code in a private message?
We should start working right now :p
This was posted 25-04-2015, 19:22
Link to this post

U

User_119

I already view a french guy doing this exploit.

ehthe

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 26, 2015
We tried to reproduce a crash on my server with this method, but no success
It didn't quite crash the server when the guy came on. It just kinda slowed it down to hell. As soon as he was gone (banned him) everything went back to normal

Supervisor

Administrator
Apr 27, 2015
mhm, how big(how many people online) is your server? We did not recognize any slow down. Maybe he was using another script then we did. Xury will post the script in the VIP section.

ehthe

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 26, 2015
Our ts server is fairly small (<32 users connected). His flag was changing at an amazing speed :D