Which hosting provider to choose?

eduardoroeder

Reaction score
@Asphyxia you are right... I'm really wanting to see what are the "big" providers to help me choose, but looks like theese 'small' and solo privders try to get my attention on just calling us to try out their services.

Where I can take a look on the providers I asked for? I really hoped that this were the place since over the last 2 years i've been following the forums silently and thought that since you guys have the means to DDoS someone you might help on choosing a secure provider aswell.

Asphyxia

Server Monkey
Administrator
Reaction score
@Asphyxia you are right... I'm really wanting to see what are the "big" providers to help me choose, but looks like theese 'small' and solo privders try to get my attention on just calling us to try out their services.

Where I can take a look on the providers I asked for? I really hoped that this were the place since over the last 2 years i've been following the forums silently and thought that since you guys have the means to DDoS someone you might help on choosing a secure provider aswell.
It is not that easy.

Every system is different and has varying requirements.

How high of availability do you need for example? Are you running an Internet-based emergency TeamSpeak for dispatching global MedEvac helicopters? Highly unlikely, but let us pretend you are.

Multiple records to your service: have the service mirrored across OVH game, then perhaps spin an Amazon instance as a backup (keep the database copied over regularly) when OVH game is detected offline, if OVH is offline and Amazon is offline for greater than 10 minutes, spin a third instance elsewhere. So worst case scenario during an attack, you only ever have a disconnection at which point users disconnect from OVH game (then over to Amazon or such). After OVH server is detected live again, simply shutdown the backup server instance.

The difficulty is in the expense of solid network DDoS protection. Absorbing 1TBPS attacks is not going to take a hosting provider a mere $1.00 fee, they will need a very mature Internet backbone and this gets very highly priced. Take for example Akamai, you could expect to pay $10,000 and I know you would never want to pay this considering someone that would, they would not be here asking - they would already be paying Akamai or Amazon and some combination of cloud/service DDoS protection provider.

Long story short, DDoS attacks keep advancing to become more powerful like with all things security-related this is cat 'n' mouse. The hacker gets stronger, security gets stronger, and then the hacker gets even stronger - so the cycle continues on.

If you want "the best", you are going to likely have to settle with OVH game, spin a backup instance at Amazon, and if that fails then pick another cloud infrastructure provider. Keep in mind this could get very freaking expensive like for example if your hourly payment for a DDoS-proofish Amazon instance would run you $20.. and an attacker keeps your OVH game server offline for 4 hours, your bill is going to be 4 hours of downtime of the OVH game that Amazon automatically came in to jump online.

The idea is to not be 24/7 DDoS-proof, but to spread your attack out between more than 1 server, have fail over/resilient/redundant server ready to spin up in case your backup server(s) fail. I mean.. setting this up is going to take some work, you will have to configure this and know what you are doing.

Short of this, you are going to pay for some guy to run you a MikroTik VPS (or some) https://mikrotik.com/software ... they're going to route you through a firewall to perhaps cut down on common DDoS but they will need to offer a fast enough pipe through that server to support multiple user attacks at once because if their hosting is high-risk and they take too many attacks, that is a bad day.

I will say some hosts know what they are doing, including some small ones, but at the end of the day if you want stuff to work really well you are going to either have to use a big provider like OVH game, Amazon (AWS), or Azure.. keep in mind you can use APIs, a small backup server, and perform either auto deployments or shut servers off when your main/primary server is online. This could get annoying though if the attacker figures out how your defense works. They could hit you, wait for your protection to come on (backup server), then stop.. and keep hitting you on and off.

This stuff is a nightmare, but if you do not have a lot of money.. that is kind of what you have to do if you want hella protection.

cihandmr

Restricted
VIP
Reaction score
Hi

We buy dedicated server from blazinglayer.com [just for teamspeak], you can try too, they take very care his clients.
All servers on the screenshot my clients servers.

Don't buy from ''HOSTEAM'' i already work with them,they just care polish clients not real @Hunterpl :p

Attachments

Asphyxia

Server Monkey
Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly, we should just make host.ciphers.pw because most hosts honestly suck (aside from OVH, AWS, Azure, and Zare) and using the right infrastructure along with some cloud-based solutions you can wrap your infrastructure with protection. If anyone wants to lead/head that project, I am too busy but will support.

I would keep everyone's server backed up to a cloud service in the event of any outage, so people automatically have automatic failover. Who tf is doing that?