Which hosting provider to choose?

eduardoroeder

Reaction score
Hey, I'm starting a project here as a TS3 Bot which will update some channels in sync with a game API, and do other stuff aswell. The bot connects via serverquery. The other providers of this specific service for this particular game usually hosts a TS3 server together with the bot. Each of their server is 300 slots, and i'm willing to 'compete' with them in this part aswell.

So, I have a TeaSpeak (doesn't really matter which one i'm using since what I want is independent of this) set up on AWS here in South-America (low ping for the users). It is doing good for developing and testing purposes, but after a few days on stress-testing I found out that the bandwith offered there is going to be a problem. Just for the development environment I'm using a VPS (EC2) with 2 cores + 0,5gb ram. But about the bandwith, they ''give'' you a quota of 1GB and then after that it is about 0,25USD per GB. My stress-tests built up to 50GB usage in two weeks, being 10GB only on one day. On the other TS3 provider, I can see that that their usage is roughly of 450GB/Month. We can see that 120USD of bandwith for one server is not good for value-cost.

The other priovider hosts their servers at OVH (basic WHOIS on their ip), and they have more than 100 servers hosted ATM which have 180~ ping with 0.5% packet loss.

I'm looking for other hostings which prefferably have datacenters here in South America for the low latency (looks like AWS and Google Cloud are the only ones, but they are expensive as hell), but it is not a pre-requisite. After the bandiwth calculations, I'd only want some large bandwith providers hehe.

Also, thinking it further down, probably I'd need to have some DDoS protection aswell (can someone clarify with numbers how much XGBps bandwith can hold?), since I'm going to compete with someone who has the biggest market share and gives shitty support.

Of course the hosting would need to provide some kind of 'on demand upgrade' to upgrade the amount of cores and RAM avaiable whenever I feel like I need.

So, having this background info, what host you guys recomment me to use? Which host do you guys use?

I've been looking into DigitalOcean, but as I've seen they dont have DDoS protection, so IDK how hard it would be to take my server down.
I've been looking into AWS but on north america, the ping should be around 150-200 but IDK about the packet loss. Do they have DDoS protection for free (Amazon Shield has some free capabilities)?
Google Cloud is even more expensive. Didn't try it out.
Anyone tryied out VULTR or HERTZNER?

Thanks

dosh

Reaction score
Try to talk with https://blazingfast.io don't know if they have launched USA location already for customers.
But its one of their new locations, also have a new website.

dosh

Reaction score
If you looking also for DDoS Protection on BlazingFast don't, trash
Well I can't complain :D
Also have been running several tests over time in my server and if anything bypasses it they can fix it,

Martin S.

VIP
Reaction score
Well I can't complain :D
Also have been running several tests over time in my server and if anything bypasses it they can fix it,
They're trash. When we tested it, it got down with 100 mbit/s method for vox.

dosh

Reaction score
They're trash. When we tested it, it got down with 100 mbit/s method for vox.
Their servers comes with "vanilla" DDoS protection and each customer can have a different "profile" deppending on what he runs on the server, in my case teamspeak3.
If you want I can send you an IP to test on

Asphyxia

Server Monkey
Administrator
Reaction score
deppending on what he runs on the server, in my case teamspeak3.
If you want I can send you an IP to test on
Yeah, that would be really awesome.

Have you performed a stress test on your servers yourself or received any certain amount of a scalable attack? Just honestly curious. :)

dosh

Reaction score
Yeah, that would be really awesome.

Have you performed a stress test on your servers yourself or received any certain amount of a scalable attack? Just honestly curious. :)
Well yes some pretty big service owners have tested it.

Yes I know that, I've requested Teamspeak Protection and it was enabled and it got down ez.
-

Okay you are welcome to test it on my service and if it goes down it will be solved im sure.

@Asphyxia so I can send the IP here or?

FromLondon

Honk Honk
VIP
Reaction score
Well yes some pretty big service owners have tested it.

Okay you are welcome to test it on my service and if it goes down it will be solved im sure.

@Asphyxia so I can send the IP here or?
Don't send your ip from production servers, it is bad practice.

So you need to contact each time with support if your service experiencing troubles due to attacks, right ?

dosh

Reaction score
Don't send your ip from production servers, it is bad practice.

So you need to contact each time with support if your service experiencing troubles due to attacks, right ?
Only if an attack bypasses it, I haven't contacted them in 4 months even though the server gets attacked regularly.
I have permission from them to give out the IP/test it so..

Asphyxia

Server Monkey
Administrator
Reaction score
Only if an attack bypasses it
You have the freedom to post your IP address. The only thing we disallow is malicious posting of IP addresses here e.g. "Please attack this guy pls he hurt my feeling 127.0.0.1....."

Requesting a stress test or otherwise innocent sharing of an IP address is fine. ;)

If someone makes a thread for example "<victim name> clicked my IP logger link, <victim IP> go kill him." then yes.. someone probably is getting banned. Other than that, all good.. hope this makes sense haha

eduardoroeder

Reaction score
Try to talk with https://blazingfast.io don't know if they have launched USA location already for customers.
But its one of their new locations, also have a new website.
Thanks, I'll take a look at them.

TeaSpeak
When i saw that you will use it i don't wanna read more
Like I said, doesn't matter which one. I might buy a Teamspeak License aswell later on, my bot sets-up the desired channels and groups permissions so no problem with a instance structure. Teaspeak just works out of box without any hassle on setting up 300 slots.

I've read some discussions about WolverinDev and TeaSpeak development, so I'm aware about the security risks (or other kind of risks) I might get exposed. I dont really mind in this stage of development. If anything, just reinstall OS and start from scratch.

BTW, @FromLondon if you have that big knowledge about how TeaSpeak sucks, what about sharing knowledge about hosting providers?

@Asphyxia since you are the core admin here, do you have any insights on the main thread?

dosh

Reaction score
You have the freedom to post your IP address. The only thing we disallow is malicious posting of IP addresses here e.g. "Please attack this guy pls he hurt my feeling 127.0.0.1....."

Requesting a stress test or otherwise innocent sharing of an IP address is fine. ;)

If someone makes a thread for example "<victim name> clicked my IP logger link, <victim IP> go kill him." then yes.. someone probably is getting banned. Other than that, all good.. hope this makes sense haha
The IP is 185.62.188.70