What the actual .... is going on with my usb?

JayJax

Apr 28, 2015
Today i bought myself a cheap 32gb kingston datatraveler dtig4 32gb
and what your about to see is for me the weirdest thing ever!!
This is happening with any file size no matter what file!

First few seconds constant speed rate, then drops down and up to 20mbps highest peak ( 38mbps )

fbdcdfeb5c.png

-EDIT

Current Highest peak = 122mbps

Last edited:

shockli

Contributor
Jan 29, 2016
Today i bought myself a cheap 32gb kingston datatraveler dtig4 32gb
and what your about to see is for me the weirdest thing ever!!
This is happening with any file size no matter what file!

First few seconds constant speed rate, then drops down and up to 20mbps highest peak ( 38mbps )

fbdcdfeb5c.png
First:
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/Mbps
mpbs != MB/s

Second:
According to this your memory stick should do 77/32 MB/s speed.
Since you bought it for "cheap" it's most likely a fake. But the spikes may look like you are copying thousands (millions maybe?) files. That slows down the speed a lot, maybe archive your folders before copying them.

JayJax

Apr 28, 2015
First:
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/Mbps
mpbs != MB/s

Second:
According to this your memory stick should do 77/32 MB/s speed.
Since you bought it for "cheap" it's most likely a fake. But the spikes may look like you are copying thousands (millions maybe?) files. That slows down the speed a lot, maybe archive your folders before copying them.

First:
It doesnt really matter how you write it, aslong people understand what your talking about.
(Mbps / MB/s)

Second:
I bought the usb stick while it was on sale since the store i got it from just opened about 2 weeks ago.
According to my eyes it peaks up to 122MB/s while sharing files from my SSD to USB from a 3.0 USB port.

Third:
I did not upload multiple files, but 1 single ISO ( KALI 2016.1 )
Also tried Folder's, Rar files, pictures, MP3/FLAC/WAV its just the same with anything else.

shockli

Contributor
Jan 29, 2016
First:
It doesnt really matter how you write it, aslong people understand what your talking about.
(Mbps / MB/s)

Second:
I bought the usb stick while it was on sale since the store i got it from just opened about 2 weeks ago.
According to my eyes it peaks up to 122MB/s while sharing files from my SSD to USB from a 3.0 USB port.

Third:
I did not upload multiple files, but 1 single ISO ( KALI 2016.1 )
Also tried Folder's, Rar files, pictures, MP3/FLAC/WAV its just the same with anything else.
For one PC only or have you tested it on another PC?

JayJax

Apr 28, 2015
No No No No No No No No No! Please lol!

As for copying faster at the beginning (the peak you are referring about). There is a simple explanation (Caching).
http://superuser.com/questions/315134/why-does-my-flash-drive-speed-slow-down-when-copying

Well its quite strange since i have a ssd that can read/write 550MB/s and 3 1TB hdd's that can handle 145MB/s versus a USB that can handle 77MB/s so that would be strange.
I tested the usb on the SSD and HDDs all the same thing.