Tutorial Preventing UDP Spoofing Attacks (99.9% PROTECTION)

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
these are crap rules, for low-level attacks.
use ddos protected provider who knows what he is doing, and you'll be more than fine.

if you keep getting 0.01% attack thats 100% downtime, thats why this script is for protection against kids
Just curious - to add content other than just present a problem, because people like solutions not just problems. What hosting provider do you recommend?

Further, these rules are low sophistication to block common basic attacks. These rules and no other rules are going to stop a 50GBPS flow down a 10 Meg line lol.. these are more example rules to show using inbuilt rules for blocking.

If someone wanted to adopt something more complex like a hardware network filter that has DDoS mitigation capability they would be spending thousands, similarly hosting with high DDoS protection providers can be expensive. I’m thinking op posted these for a personal gaming server for example.

Let’s not just assume people said “run this in production at 10k employee environment”

Not to be mean, just.. provide content if you’re going to bash please :) thank you and welcome here! Ps op was banned lol

rajaram

Aug 6, 2021
I like to be prepared for complex attacks, because basics attacks (non-private) are mostly blocked even on low ddos protected providers, since they're publicly seen.

I wouldn't want to go public with provider Im recommending, because some low IQ people here will think that Im working there, as it was year-two before here and actions were taken against me without reason ;).

But, there are providers who are dedicated, and they're always replying fast, and doing own ddos protection and can fix every attack fast and easy on their own, best thing they're not even expensive, and Im on one of them.

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
best thing they're not even expensive
The only hosts I know of which offer quite tremendous quality of DDoS protection for price include OVH&Vultr, while there are more expensive providers like Voxility - even up to Akamai there are also some providers like Lumen and Netscout:
OVH, and Vultr seem to be the best bang for the buck.. other "affordable" hosts typically just resell this technology segmented into smaller instances in my experience:

Cloudflare is also a great way to mitigate attacks (commonly used for web apps), by implementing load balancing, rate limiting, and other configurations. Caching also makes a large difference! If hosting a web app for example, if your server is CONSTANTLY connecting to a database, processing information w/ PHP/Python/Etc for guest viewers.. that's going to add tremendous load onto servers. I don't think there is a 1-stop-shop for protection of DDoS because L7 or Layer 7 attacks are more of an end-user mitigation with a more catered solution - depending on the server/application deployment.

While I can appreciate the thought that there are "fix every attack fast" people, without a source.. or without you directing anyone to a specific site or provider - that doesn't really contribute much here.

Again, not being mean - but it is like "I KNOW A WAY TO MAKE MONEY FAST".. then not ever saying how, lol ;)

It all really comes down to what is being hosted, and what type of protection is most critical. DDoS layers 3, 4, and 7 are most common and the deployment/architecture of a service is what determines what "shields" are needed to be raised - and where.

If anyone wants to see a larger list of DDoS protection providers, here is one taken from SoftwareTestingHelp:
1642877313708.png

The ultimate reality, however, is if someone has access to a large enough botnet and your hosting "pipeline" cannot fit the throughput down - you're off.

So the most important piece to combat DDoS is making sure the infrastructure is top-notch (ex. no routers < Gig) and paying attention to the entire architecting of the service, through all layers of the OSI model - with eyes widely open surrounding L 3,4,7

Last edited: