MySQL Basics

Jackbox

Jan 2, 2016
Whether you are working with MySQL or MariaDB, this is going to probably work perfectly well for you. This is a cheat sheet I have decided to make for database navigation/viewing while developing or testing.

Before we get started I would like to stress that using a GUI is possible and many people do that, this tutorial covers executing queries. You can even use a web interface: Adminer, phpMyAdmin, Navicat, SequelPro (Mac), HeidiSQL

Requirements: You must have MySQL or MariaDB installed on your operating system. Listed are some install guides.
First, let's go ahead and open SSH (get in a terminal).

Code:
mysql -p

Authenticate with your password.

1. show databases;
    upload_2017-8-10_16-54-21.png
  2. use fun;
  3. show tables;
    upload_2017-8-10_16-55-16.png
  4. select * from users;
Before I dox myself how about I take out some information, eh?

Code:
update fun.users set name = 'nobody' where id > 0;

Notice the structure of the above query is: UPDATE databaseName.tableName SET columnName = 'content' where id > 0;

Code:
select id, name from users;
upload_2017-8-10_17-11-16.png

What about generating random integers to write atop emails?

upload_2017-8-10_17-17-43.png

I plan on continuing this. If anyone has requests or ideas for the cheat sheet definitely toss 'em in here.

Last edited:

mumude

Aug 5, 2022
Whether you are working with MySQL or MariaDB, this is going to probably work perfectly well for you. This is a cheat sheet I have decided to make for database navigation/viewing while developing or testing.

Before we get started I would like to stress that using a GUI is possible and many people do that, this tutorial covers executing queries. You can even use a web interface: Adminer, phpMyAdmin, Navicat, SequelPro (Mac), HeidiSQL

Requirements: You must have MySQL or MariaDB installed on your operating system. Listed are some install guides.
First, let's go ahead and open SSH (get in a terminal).

Code:
mysql -p

Authenticate with your password.

1. show databases;
    View attachment 360
  2. use fun;
  3. show tables;
    View attachment 361
  4. select * from users;
Before I dox myself how about I take out some information, eh?

Code:
update fun.users set name = 'nobody' where id > 0;

Notice the structure of the above query is: UPDATE databaseName.tableName SET columnName = 'content' where id > 0;

Code:
select id, name from users;
View attachment 362

What about generating random integers to write atop emails?

View attachment 363

I plan on continuing this. If anyone has requests or ideas for the cheat sheet definitely toss 'em in here.
I am new could possibly learn from you