Jackbox

Jan 2, 2016
Copy and paste just the below box and you are all set:
Code:
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CDC87042
add-apt-repository "deb https://mirror.r4p3.net/ jessie main"
apt-get install teamspeak

Alternative Method:
Simply copy and paste the following into your terminal. This should work for both 64 bit and 32 bit environments. If you have any issues please reply.

Compatible: Debian, Ubuntu

Code:
mkdir /etc/teamspeak; cd /etc/teamspeak; sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/R4P3-Linux/TS3-Ubuntu/master/KneescR4P3.sh; sudo chmod +x KneescR4P3.sh; sudo ./KneescR4P3.sh

Sit back and relax until you see the TeamSpeak 3 license agreement.
Enter, q, y, Enter
Wait a few more seconds.
teamspeak

SECURITY SCAN:
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/5...c17603c00601aac272604bb694db2b77ad8/detection

---

Changelog: uname -i will no longer be used. arch is more standard and works on both Debian and Ubuntu from my testing. arch is the equivalent of uname -m it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackbox

Jan 2, 2016
Dante will not be coming here and TeamSpeak will have nothing to do with us. But we have everything to do with them. :p:cool:

P.S. Don't quit, I love you bwahaha ;)

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
Code:
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CDC87042
add-apt-repository "deb https://mirror.r4p3.net/ jessie main"
apt-get install teamspeak

XRV-Webix

May 2, 2016
I am curious to know what that teamspeak repo has different than the original and official repo...

Jackbox

Jan 2, 2016
I am curious to know what that teamspeak repo has different than the original and official repo...
I am unaware of an official repo. Are you able to share such information?

Even if there is an official repo, we have made certain to harden the system (mirror server) serving the TeamSpeak 3 package. I am curious to look at this official one you mention.

XRV-Webix

May 2, 2016
It's not distributed by apt or git (why should it be? I can install it in one command line too!): http://www.teamspeak.com/en/downloads.html

Note: /etc folder is not the right folder to install teamspeak. If you want to keep things correct, make teamspeak create a ts3server.ini file and save it there, then install the server on /usr/local folder (i guess this is more correct than /etc).

Jackbox

Jan 2, 2016
It's not distributed by apt or git (why should it be? I can install it in one command line too!): http://www.teamspeak.com/en/downloads.html
Where to start with this?
1. http Nope! https://www.teamspeak.com/en/downloads.html
2. https://dl.4players.de/ts/releases/3.1.6/TeamSpeak3-Client-linux_amd64-3.1.6.run --- What is that? Their download mirror does not support security? Fucking great.

By the way if you appreciate Linux at all, you would appreciate packages/repositories being distributed like they should be. If each and every site in the world required you to:
  1. Open browser
  2. Type TeamSpeak
  3. Click download
  4. Select mirror (optionally)
  5. Make executable, execute
--- that would be a headache.

You say you can just do all this with one command line. No you can't. Go sit down at a fresh Ubuntu install and install TS3 with one easy command. Lies!

Last edited:

XRV-Webix

May 2, 2016
wget http://dl.4players.de/ts/releases/3.0.13.8/teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64-3.0.13.8.tar.bz2 && tar jxf teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64-3.0.13.8.tar.bz2 --stripe=1
And i just copy/pasted the link! It take me 3 seconds! You want a movie?? If you do, i can make you one!
You have to realize that Teamspeak is NOT packaged and probably never be! You want to stick to APT or GIT repos? Fine! But i can assure you that those repos won't be updated has fast has the official distribution sites.

Note: Stop trying to re-invent the wheel! If teamspeak wanted to distribute their packages by APT or GIT, they would have done that years ago!

Jackbox

Jan 2, 2016
wget http://dl.4players.de/ts/releases/3.0.13.8/teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64-3.0.13.8.tar.bz2 && tar jxf teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64-3.0.13.8.tar.bz2 --stripe=1
And i just copy/pasted the link! It take me 3 seconds! You want a movie?? If you do, i can make you one!
You have to realize that Teamspeak is NOT packaged and probably never be! You want to stick to APT or GIT repos? Fine! But i can assure you that those repos won't be updated has fast has the official distribution sites.
Well then maybe TeamSpeak Systems GmbH should partner with us (R4P3 Network) to properly and securely distribute their software because they just use silly (non-secure supporting) game mirror hosts that clearly do not support HTTPS, neither of the two do.

It's unfortunate they publish their Linux software improperly. Their userbase is primarily Windows though so they likely do not care. For software with ~1,000,000 users you would think they would properly publish their software at least for Ubuntu/Debian.

XRV-Webix

May 2, 2016
Well then maybe TeamSpeak Systems GmbH should partner with us (R4P3 Network) to properly and securely distribute their software because they just use silly game mirror hosts that clearly do not support HTTPS, neither of the two do.

It's unfortunate they publish their Linux software improperly. Their userbase is primarily Windows though so they likely do not care. For software with ~1,000,000 users you would think they would properly publish their software at least for Ubuntu/Debian.
Their packages work on how many distros/O.S's??? What is easyer, faster and cheaper to mantain? A repo for several distributions or a page with download links??
Yes, they could use a secured protocol instead of a insecured one... But i bet that will change in the next few months has many browsers will start to show up "insecured website" before you enter on website without certificate...

Jackbox

Jan 2, 2016
Their packages work on how many distros/O.S's???
Their packages work because they use something called the Qt framework (Linux). They can pretty much compile and have things run anywhere which is extremely useful for being available on many platforms although for the sake of security we have noticed this is not always the best to have a software developer using a framework with little knowledge of software development security best practices.

They really should just throw their package into a repository in an automated fashion. This would not be hard at all and with any basic-level developer this should easily be done using the Qt framework and relevant tools. :p

Do you work for TeamSpeak Systems? You seem to be defending them an awful lot despite their seemingly bad practices for serving their Linux-based software. This is ironic to me since most Linux lovers appreciate security and proper distribution of software?

XRV-Webix

May 2, 2016
I don't work for them. I only resell their services.
Has a linux lover, i understand very well the security problem. And to tell the truth, i would trust more quickly on a repo that is officially published (doesn't matter what type of repo it is), than trusting on an unofficial repo. That is why teamspeak consider the r4p3 repo "illegal" (It's not mantained by them!).
Would you trust blindly on any APT or GIT repo on internet that serves Teamspeak packages??? If you do, don't come argue with me about security!
About working for Teamspeak, it seems you know a lot! You should apply to their team then. ;)

Jackbox

Jan 2, 2016
Would you trust blindly on any APT or GIT repo on internet that serves Teamspeak packages
Yes if their history (the organization serving the mirror) voluntarily helped with getting the software patched from multiple critical security issues and did not appear malicious. :D

We have helped TeamSpeak 3 to fix:
Remote Code Execution(s)
Countless server and client crashes
Various ways to cause the client to freeze

While we did not directly patch these due to not having direct access to source code, our organization has multiple helpful individuals pertaining to security/development/research. I would trust R4P3 before TeamSpeak Systems and any of their mirrors lacking HTTPS. ;)

All I trust is their scanned packages --- ideally if we partnered with them we would take their package directly via encrypted file transfer and publish the package after scanning and hash comparison. What is preventing both of the mirrors they use from getting hacked? Does anyone know.. they don't even utilize HTTPS --- a first step to web security involving encrypting connections for website visitors. TeamSpeak's website should enforce HTTPS too if they want to be looked at as taking security seriously. I mean they do have a service throwing around credentials to admin servers. :eek:

Last edited:

XRV-Webix

May 2, 2016
Yes if their history (the organization serving the mirror) voluntarily helped with getting the software patched from multiple critical security issues and did not appear malicious. :D
I am an official ATHP and i wouldn't trust any unofficial repo out there (unofficial says all!). At the r4p3 repo a dev can easly push a patch by error (i know me has a dev i already did mistakes like those and i am not saying they do or already did! I just say it can happen).
I would trust R4P3 before TeamSpeak Systems and any of their mirrors lacking HTTPS. ;)
Ok, they don't have secured mirrors, but they have the file hash on their website for comparison.
Tell me... on APT/GIT, after you install a package from an unofficial repo will you compare the package hash with the official one?

Also, le'ts not forget this on the end of the teamspeak downloads page:
We strongly recommend that you only download TeamSpeak from our website. This ensures that you will have the very latest, virus-free version of our product. Mirroring or linking directly to our files is prohibited without our express, written consent. Please contact [email protected] if you have any questions.

Also to conclude: Do you think Teamspeak will partnership with a team who distribute on their forum cracked versions of their software? I won't!

Jackbox

Jan 2, 2016
Do you think Teamspeak will partnership with a team
They wanted to ;) we declined because their offer was absurd ($150 monthly). People want security but they do not want to pay. That is like most things unfortunately. Everyone wants golden quality with a penny.

but they have the file hash on their website for comparison
How does this help the majority of people? You realize 90% or more of users don't even know wtf a file hash is, right... lacking HTTPS is no excuse to serve a file hash when the file hash itself could be MITM'd without HTTPS/DNSSEC (and more) --- wtf. Zero security logic there!

At the r4p3 repo a dev can easly push a patch
Our "unofficial repo" does not push anything the official TeamSpeak 3 "repo" if you can even call it that contains. It's not so much a repo as it is just a .run file download page. A legit repository is published by an official OS vendor e.g. Ubuntu or Debian. TeamSpeak 3 has no official repo --- so there is no sense in even saying TS3 has an official repo. They have none, they serve their download files through insecure mirrors, end of story.

XRV-Webix

May 2, 2016
@Jackbox you are so smart and right on everything you say and you know everything (i am being ironic!).
What damn different security do you have on installing teamspeak from r4p3 repo that you don't have on downloading the file from their website??? Tell me!
You are completely stupid! For the file be available on the r4p3 repo it must be downloaded from their website. Doesn't it???

So, stop pushing me your security bullshit because you don't have any logic on this matter! If Teamspeak had an official APT/GIT repo or a secured website that will be different. But it's not the case here!
Also, you as "simple member" (yes because i don't see you part of r4p3 moderator team or dev team) seems to know everything about what is going on... Even that they offered 150$ (i personally think that is stupid! And i repeat it without you cutting half of my phrase: "Teamspeak will never partnership with a team that distributes their software cracked!").

I will end this discussion here because it doesn't worth to answer to a troll like you.
Have "fun" with your "security"!