How do I stop a DDOS attack?

Belhassen

ʙᴇʟʜᴀssᴇɴ
Jul 29, 2016
How Do I Protect My TeamSpeak Server From DDoS Attacks?
I'm getting attacked by DDOS on my TS3 server.
My server version is 3.0.13.6 on Linux
Do you have any general advices how can i deal with DDOS attacks? I use ubuntu 16.04, aws amazon

root012

Oct 26, 2015
Hello, The only way is to buy a vps having DDoS protection. If you have a vps without DDoS protection is not possible to protect without any additional hardware.
Try, www.digital-hosting.biz Have good ddos protection for ts3 OVH GAME cheap vps :) good luck

Belhassen

ʙᴇʟʜᴀssᴇɴ
Jul 29, 2016
Hello, The only way is to buy a vps having DDoS protection. If you have a vps without DDoS protection is not possible to protect without any additional hardware.
Try, www.digital-hosting.biz Have good ddos protection for ts3 OVH GAME cheap vps :) good luck

Thank you for your reply, but I want to know is what there is an average to know who ddos me?

MwZ

Dec 27, 2016
How Do I Protect My TeamSpeak Server From DDoS Attacks?
I'm getting attacked by DDOS on my TS3 server.
My server version is 3.0.13.6 on Linux
Do you have any general advices how can i deal with DDOS attacks? I use ubuntu 16.04, aws amazon

It depends how much you want to pay, because you cannot stop a DDoS Attack by yourself, it requires special DDoS Mitigation gear to "mitigate" or in other words, "reduce the impact" of this attack as much as possible to keep your stuff working at minimum impact/issues. Cheap solutions will help, but they aren't the final solution, unless you really want to pay for a better/serious company, providing you with better technologies or support services...

Back to the subject, you can stop small DoS attacks, with iptables or CSF, but this is also not a final solution...

root012

Oct 26, 2015
Hmm, If you have Vrack You can create your own firewall with aditional server :D It is quite expensive.But if you have no money, the solution is OVH game.

ikfes

Apr 15, 2016
run a tcpdump during attack and save it as pcap file and open it with wireshark.
From there you can investigate which port is being attacked, who is attacking, and what kind of attack it is.
Easiest (and most CPU intensive) way is to block the attack by hex if the packets are all same..

For example one of my rules:

iptables -A PREROUTING -t raw -p udp --dport 9987 -m string --hex-string '|fa163eb402096ac8|' --algo kmp -j DROP

You can see that I had no other choice to block by hex since the attack is coming to port 9987. If it was coming to the port 5555 for example, I could just drop all traffic related to that port and not worry about the hex filtering taking up my CPU core to 80%. Even better way is to block the attack on network level using control panel of your hosting provider.

FarisDev

L oryh brx
Contributor
Jun 9, 2016
@ikfes Can you please make a tutorial how to run TCP dump? , And save it as pcap? I do not know. I search on google, no results

MwZ

Dec 27, 2016
run a tcpdump during attack and save it as pcap file and open it with wireshark.
From there you can investigate which port is being attacked, who is attacking, and what kind of attack it is.
Easiest (and most CPU intensive) way is to block the attack by hex if the packets are all same..

For example one of my rules:

iptables -A PREROUTING -t raw -p udp --dport 9987 -m string --hex-string '|fa163eb402096ac8|' --algo kmp -j DROP

You can see that I had no other choice to block by hex since the attack is coming to port 9987. If it was coming to the port 5555 for example, I could just drop all traffic related to that port and not worry about the hex filtering taking up my CPU core to 80%. Even better way is to block the attack on network level using control panel of your hosting provider.

This is not necessary to be done with modern protection systems...

ikfes

Apr 15, 2016
This is not necessary to be done with modern protection systems...

Correct, if you have OVH game for example, there are only few attacks that bypass the anti-ddos and make it to your network interface card.
So if you have extraVM or c38.host for example, you don't even need iptables for the most part.

ikfes

Apr 15, 2016
@ikfes Can you please make a tutorial how to run TCP dump? , And save it as pcap? I do not know. I search on google, no results

tcpdump -s 0 -i eth0 -w dump.pcap

Then open dump.pcap with wireshark on your local computer to see whats in there.

You might want to correct your network interface card above. run ifconfig to find the exact name and replace eth0 with that. It could be something like venet0:0 for example if you have OpenVZ server.

hellmind

Jul 13, 2015
The solution for me is having many ips , so you can blackhole the current being ddosed. You must force the client to use the doman to connect. then having mnay ip there just a few users that cant join, they just retry to get another working ip.

MwZ

Dec 27, 2016
The solution for me is having many ips , so you can blackhole the current being ddosed. You must force the client to use the doman to connect. then having mnay ip there just a few users that cant join, they just retry to get another working ip.

You can simply write a script to attack all the IPs at once... :/

hellmind

Jul 13, 2015
You can simply write a script to attack all the IPs at once... :/
Yes but, you must discover all the ip first. He can't know how many I got.
its like another step that the attacker must do.

hellmind

Jul 13, 2015
tsdns got nothing to do, because I point to a hostname with many A records, the dns answer with up to 10 ip.
I know it can be ddosed, but at least you get protected against script kiddies using a paid botnet
There is no protection 100% effective.

MwZ

Dec 27, 2016
tsdns got nothing to do, because I point to a hostname with many A records, the dns answer with up to 10 ip.
I know it can be ddosed, but at least you get protected against script kiddies using a paid botnet
There is no protection 100% effective.

This is even easier, because you can simply list all IPs of your A entry with a simple command and then write a script in less than a minute to knock all these IPs. And no, a paid botnet is not necessary, but just a simple VPS. And well, maybe there aren't ways to get 100% protection, but you can get close to it using better companies that doesn't require you to take any sort of action in your end, mainly when speaking about TeamSpeak 3, But this is not going to be cheap anyways...

hellmind

Jul 13, 2015
Well for me having many ip, and choose to switch fast the ddosed ones save me many times.
Also is very useful when there are not good and cheap anti ddos providers.
I think the best for canada is OVH
USA nfoservers ?
South america (maybe in brazil?)
EUROPE dont know( ovh isnt working great for me there)